- The DRX 9000 is a new technology used to better perform spinal decompressions. Finally, spinal decompression that's affordable!
All About Sciatica from True Health Chiropractic & Massage in Bloomington, IL
Visiting a chiropractor in Bloomington for back pain may result in a diagnosis of sciatica, or sciatic nerve pain. Depending on your situation, the underlying cause of the pinched nerve may vary significantly. At True Health Chiropractic and Massage, we recognize that your symptoms stem from multiple factors and we offer treatment based on your situation and needs.
What is Sciatica?
Sciatica refers to a pinched sciatic nerve in your lower back. The pinched nerve impacts your mobility, flexibility and your engagement in your normal activities due to the pain or discomfort that may develop.
The underlying causes of sciatica may include:
- An injury from an accident, particularly an auto accident
- Poor posture that puts pressure on the nerve
- Long periods of sitting or staying in the same position, such as sitting at a desk job without regular breaks or stretching
- A herniated disc, or a bulging disc, in your spine
- Narrowing of the spinal canal, which usually occurs as you age
- Tumors in the spine
- Inflammation in the area
Regardless of the underlying cause of your discomfort, you want to treat the pain with an appropriate plan of action. In many cases, chiropractic care offers the tools to help address the pain that you may experience.
Symptoms of Sciatica in Bloomington
The symptoms of sciatica in Bloomington depend on the severity of the pinched nerve. In some cases, you may only have mild symptoms that fade over time. In other situations, you may experience chronic and severe symptoms due to the pressure on your nerve.
Common symptoms of the pinched nerve include:
- Pain in the lower back that radiates down your legs
- Worsening pain when you sneeze or cough
- Numbness or tingling in the lower back and legs
- Weakness in your lower body
Do not wait to seek treatment from a chiropractor if you notice signs of sciatica. In some cases, the symptoms worsen due to increased pressure on the spine. By treating the problem before it worsens, you may limit the risk of further pain and discomfort.
Chiropractic Care for Nerve Pain
Chiropractic care for the nerve pain associated with sciatica offers a natural solution to help with your discomfort. Generally, we use spinal manipulations to cause a nervous system response that encourages your body to heal. The nervous system response allows your body to address the inflammation or pressure that may contribute to your discomfort.
Since we also use gentle stretches to encourage your spine to maintain proper alignment, you help reduce the pressure on your sciatic nerve. The reduced pressure combined with the nervous system function that heals your body addresses the pain.
Sciatica impacts your ability to enjoy your life by limiting your mobility and causing discomfort in your back. By taking measures to address the pain, you improve your situation and get back to your normal activities. To learn more about our treatment process for sciatica or to set up an appointment with a chiropractor in our clinic, call (309) 585-0704 today.